Old January 25th 18, 07:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] hughgmcp@gmail.com is offline

Default Marconi Apollo Marine receiver

On Friday, October 17, 2003 at 1:03:31 PM UTC+1, Mark S. Holden wrote:
WShoots1 wrote:

Well, Alberto, if you have the money, the price doesn't sound too bad for a
good working unit.

One thing about a valve (tube) radio, if it's working like new, is that when a
band is "open," there will be no noise except for any lightning and stations
themselves. Without either, an open band will sound like a dead receiver!

Careful when using a headset! G Offset the 'phones to the upper parts of your
ears.

this Marconi Apollo exercise on me
a sort of sex-appeal.

That I can understand. G By the way... A matching exciter, for the companion
transmitter, was made, too.

73,
Bill, K5BY

Hi Bill

Osterman says the Apollo is a solid state receiver with a digital display..

Perhaps you're thinking of an earlier model?

Hi
I operated the Apollo main rx with the Conqueror main tx on a number of ships, they were both fantastic pieces of kit. Mainly solid state with NIXI tube frequency displays. Always came up bang on frequency.
One ship I was hit by lightning while taking a message from Amaganset USA, and the lightning jumped accross radio shack from antena selector high on the bulk head. The apollo shut down for 3 minutes and came back to life without a problem.
The solid state parts of both the Apollo and the conqueror were awful to work on as each stage was issolated into its own screened box - this was to make sure there was no radiation detectable locally from the frequency synthersizer in the rx and the crystal unit in the tx.
Hope this is informative
VA