Old February 14th 18, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx
KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin is offline

Default [KB6NU] Mobile DXCC?

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Mobile DXCC?

A reader sent me the following the other day:

The ARRL posted the following on February 9th, on their Web page:

ARRL this week announced a Mobile DXCC Operating Award available to radio
amateurs who have contacted at least 100 DXCC entities from a working
vehicle with antennas and power source capable of operating while in
motion. ARRL Radiosport Manager Norm Fusaro, W3IZ, advised those pursuing
the award to put safety first. Distracted driving is a serious concern, so
we hope all mobile operators exercise care when operating from a moving
vehicle, he said. Full, official details are on the Mobile DXCC Operating
Award page. Read the complete announcement at

http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-announ...perating-award.

He went on to say:

I have to question the judgement of the League. With all the problems today
with distracted driving, why in the world would they be advocating a mobile
DXCC award? Do they really believe voicing a cautionary statement mitigates
all risks?

I count 22 different types of DXCC awards (5 modes (Mixed, Phone, CW,
Digital, and Satellite), 5BDXCC, DXCC Challenge, 12 bands (160m thru 70cm),
Honor Roll, and Top of Honor Roll). Does the DX community need another DXCC
award?

I am certainly going to voice my disagreement with the League, but thought
this may be a good topic for either your blog or an upcoming ICQ session.

One of the hams at the office had a comment Once the first serious
accident involving a distracted DXer chasing the Mobile DXCC occurs, the
term pileup will take on a new meaning. I will add that it is a good thing
the League has $20M in the bank, as stated by N6AA. They may need it for a
court awarded judgement!

My initial reaction is that this award shows where the League’s priorities
are. My guess is that the DXCC program is a revenue source for the League,
and more awards means more revenue. On the other hand, the ARRL may just be
giving DXers what they want. Does anyone know if theres a demand for this
award among DXers? Is this award something that youll be working towards?

The post Mobile DXCC? appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.