Old March 5th 04, 07:01 AM
Brian Kelly

Robert Casey wrote in message ...
Don Parker wrote:

A 1 Mb/sec feed in each direction for only $29.95 per month? That's
what the press releases claim that Cinergy Electric can deliver right
now.

There's a version of BPL that uses the microwave spectrum.
Hopefully
this is that.
Bad news for our microwave hams, but not so bad for HF users, if true.

There are a number of approaches for using the microwave bands to
provide Internet access under discussion and development. Commonly
referred to as "802 dot something" (take yer pick and buy their
stock).

But those are not BPL which is defined as Internet access over the
elecrtic utilities' power lines which operate in the 2-80 Mhz portion
of the radio spectrum. I've personally tuned the HF spectrum in a BPL
pilot area and no, it's not just "so bad" it's bad enough to kill HF
ham radio anywhere the crap is deployed.

1Mb over
HF seems unlikely.

Probably.

w3rv