Old March 29th 04, 12:08 AM
Tony P.

In article ,
says...
Hi,
I am beginner .. sorry if some of this seems like stupid question(s):

I have installed a ICom F2010(2020) into my Jeep.
The radio unit itself is installed in the back where the CD changer
was, the antenna cable is a bit too long, so it is stored in a loop.
Control unit is seperated with 8 meter cable from main unit and is
mounted underneath the ashtray (so basically it is sitting above the
gear box).

The antenna is mounted on the roof the car:
A GME 409L (ground independend), mounted on a spring S004

Frequencies used are in the 460Mhz-490Mhz range.

The problems I am experiencing now:
- Whenever the unit is Rx ... I can hear a whisling sound, which is
only audible if I accelerate (there seems to be a relationship to the
RPMs ?)
- If the car is stationary I can Rx ok, once the car is moving (maybe
50 kmh) the Rx is braking up

What you're hearing is alternator whine. I'm curious how you hooked up
the power leads. If you did the one through the fuse panel, another to
ground you're going to get noise.

The way you should install amateur radio gear is a positive and negative
lead connected to the battery, being sure to put suitable fuses on both.

I've used this method on half a dozen vehicles over time and never had a
problem. But it's very important to fuse both leads.