Old May 3rd 18, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] bet110@comcast.net is offline

Default Need help with Hammarlund HQ110A

On Tuesday, January 4, 2011 at 8:40:37 AM UTC-5, lkdubb wrote:
I recently purchased a Hammarlund HQ110A and I cannot get it to operate.
It powers up, the lights and meters seem to function properly, but I
cannot get any reception - just white noise. I do not have external
speakers, so I use headphones....I do not have a proper antenna, so I'm
just using a length of wire....since this is all new to me, I'm not sure
of how to set the various controls on the unit (pitch, sensitivity, AVC.
LIM, audio gain, freq, selectivity, multiplier).
Can anyone offer me some advice?
Also, how hard is it to find parts and to get repairs on these units?
Thanks.

--
lkdubb

Though this request and info is quite old I thought this hint might be helpful to other. I recently purchased the same receiver, used, and found this gentleman's symptom description exactly like I had been experiencing. I had checked all tubes and am pretty familiar with bringing these things back to life as well as their typical operating status at the age these are now.It seemed like it should work, but it didn't!

I decided to check out the manual before proceeding with the assessing, changing etc. any other component parts. I found in the operating manual for the HQ-110A, an unusual feature with communications receivers, at least like this one. There is an AC 'style' jack in the back of this receiver which in default mode (Manufacturer's Status) accommodates an "AC Style" plug. A rather unusual application for these items! The receiver had been used in Transmit/Receive configuration by the former owner, and the 'AC plug' had been removed to accommodate a T/R Relay operation. With no 'dummy plug' inserted, the signal processing tubes are unable to function, and one hears static etc. but no signals. Once I realized this and created a shorted 'AC plug' plugged it in, voila! Signals galore.

I just thought this information might be helpful to the next 'fixer upper' that might come by the thread. Hope it helps someone avoid a very complicated experience in rejuvenating this receiver. - K2BET