Old May 4th 18, 02:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
George Cornelius George Cornelius is offline

Default Need help with Hammarlund HQ110A

In article , writes:
Though this request and info is quite old I thought this hint might be help=
ful to other. I recently purchased the same receiver, used, and found this =
gentleman's symptom description exactly like I had been experiencing. I had=
checked all tubes and am pretty familiar with bringing these things back t=
o life as well as their typical operating status at the age these are now.I=
t seemed like it should work, but it didn't!=20

I decided to check out the manual before proceeding with the assessing, cha=
nging etc. any other component parts. I found in the operating manual for t=
he HQ-110A, an unusual feature with communications receivers, at least lik=
e this one. There is an AC 'style' jack in the back of this receiver which =
in default mode (Manufacturer's Status) accommodates an "AC Style" plug. A =
rather unusual application for these items! The receiver had been used in T=
ransmit/Receive configuration by the former owner, and the 'AC plug' had be=
en removed to accommodate a T/R Relay operation. With no 'dummy plug' inser=
ted, the signal processing tubes are unable to function, and one hears stat=
ic etc. but no signals. Once I realized this and created a shorted 'AC plug=
' plugged it in, voila! Signals galore.=20

I just thought this information might be helpful to the next 'fixer upper' =
that might come by the thread. Hope it helps someone avoid a very complicat=
ed experience in rejuvenating this receiver. - K2BET

Interesting. Just what I want to have around is a two-prong A/C plug
which will catch fire when inserted into a wall outlet.

Or, for that matter, which when inserted into the back of a receiver which
is actually supplying power via that connector.

George