Old April 19th 04, 01:29 AM
Mike Coslo

Daniel J. Morlan wrote:

Ah! Thanks a lot! Actually 2 Meters is really the ONLY one I'm
wanting to be using. I have a new Icom T90A, and just want a nice car
antenna for talking on 2 meters. It's an HT.

Okay, now we have something to work with. I'm using a 5/8th wave
antenna on my car. It works pretty well. I'd suggest one of those. The
brand is MFJ. Some don't like them, but it has performed well for over 3
years now. It has a small bottom loading coil. If you can spare the
height, a full length version should perform a bit better.

Most come with coax.

Then you have to deal with mounting. I use a mag mount, and can run the
cable between the doors of my Cherokee and it looks good. If that
doesn't work for you, you can possibly run the cable down the back and
into the trunk, then back up.

You can also use a trunk lip mount and do the same.

If you are really brave, you can body mount the antenna, but that is
quite a project.

I don't recommend glass mount antennas for 2 meters.

After mounting the antenna, get a bnc or sma adapter, according to your
needs, give the swr a check, and there you go. The big thing to look out
for on installations is to avoid crimping the coax between doors, trunk
lid, etc. That can create a swore problem.

I used a HT in the car for quite a while. (FT-50) Worked just fine. You
should be happy with it. With a decent antenna and 5 watts, it is
impressive how well it works.

- Mike KB3EIA -