Old May 19th 18, 02:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank[_14_] Frank[_14_] is offline

Default SWL Antenna question (HF aero comms listening)

On Sat, 19 May 2018 05:45:55 -0700, Jo+AOM-o Fonseca wrote:

+AD4 Hello+ACE
+AD4
+AD4 I have the AirSpyHF+- SDR and I am writting to you to ask what's the best way to get better performance with this radio in HF frequencies (+AH4-3Mhz - 15Mhz) in USB mode. My intentions is to listen as best as possible the HF aero transatlantic flights over the atlantic/pacific that most of the time come with very very weak signals...
+AD4 I live in a rural area and can erect big antennas. I have a 12m spiderbeam pole.
+AD4
+AD4
+AD4 Hope you can help me+ACE
+AD4
+AD4 Thank you+ACE

I'm envious+ACE I wish I could put up some real outdoor antennas. If so, I'd look into antenna modeling software. This seems like a good place to start:

http://www.w5ddl.org/files/ComputerModelingSimple6.pdf

I'd LOVE to try to aim a lobe in pre-planned direction+ACE-