Old January 11th 04, 01:20 PM
Ralph Mowery

I am trying to find out if the performance claims on the GAM SS-2
antenna could be accurate. http://www.gamelectronicsinc.com/mini.html
I found 2 reviews that rated this antenna #1 for a vhf short marine
antenna.
One was by Powerboat Reports
http://www.powerboat-reports.com/pub...es/4722-1.html .
And the other was by Practical Sailor
http://www.gamelectronicsinc.com/practical.html

I spoke with the manufacturer and he said the gain on this antenna is
6db or 5.1dbi. Is this possible or not possible from a 35" whip base
load antenna? If it could be possible, then under what conditions
would it be possible to get that type of gain from an antenna this
size?

Anytime I see a gain of around 6 db at a frequency around 150 mhz the
antenna beter be about 20 feet tall. If not it could be refferanced to a
dummy load or most anything else. An antenna around 36 inches long is
usually rated about 3 db of gain at 150 mhz. That is not even refferanced
to a dipole. About 18 inches of antenna is a 1/4 wave whip. It is minus a
db or so refferanced to a dipole.

You might get an antenna modeling program to show the 6 db of gain if it is
isotropic and also you add some ground reflection in. This is not usually
done on vhf.

I would not even fool with the manufacturer that makes a claim like this.