Old April 26th 04, 03:09 PM
Paul_Morphy

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Paul_Morphy" wrote

In that case, those of us who survived the 20-wpm
confidence course in an FCC office 30
years ago should be named Secretaries of Defense.
Move over, Rummy.

30 years ago (that'd be 1974) I had already had to renew my Extra
license, TWICE.

Move over, George

Don't get that long, white beard caught in your straight key, OM. : Yeah,
the definition of "old timer" sure has changed. I just joined OOTC; I figure
QCWA is for kids. I'm 57, but over the weekend, someone at a hamfest
referred to me as a "young man," which was chronologically logical in his
case.

Which points to the aging problem I perceive in ham radio. I'd say 95% of
the people I saw at this hamfest were older than 55. In another 20 years,
FCC will be able to assign 1X1 calls to every ham. All Hiram's horses and
all Hiram's men (and women) can't seem to get enough youngsters interested
to offset the attrition.

73,

"PM" (soon to be W4A)