Old June 7th 18, 10:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank[_14_] Frank[_14_] is offline

Default Superradio III

On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 13:34:28 -0400, Ron Hardin wrote:

+AD4 Frank wrote:
+AD4APg
+AD4APg On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 07:50:49 -0400, Ron Hardin wrote:
+AD4APg
+AD4APg +-AD4 My Superradio III just died, after being on 24/7
+AD4APg +-AD4 for around 20 years. I think the varactor
+AD4APg +-AD4 governing tuning failed.
+AD4APg +-AD4
+AD4APg +-AD4 I'd been using it to stream to a distant room what
+AD4APg +-AD4 my computer was streaming and sending to a small
+AD4APg +-AD4 FM transmitter.
+AD4APg
+AD4APg That's pretty good+-ACE You going to repair it?
+AD4
+AD4 Am DX has been pretty much ruined for years by IBOC, which gives you 3 times the interference and no
+AD4 way to null what interference you hear.
+AD4
+AD4 I used to have an 8-element active array with 7 phase shifters and could easily null out two close
+AD4 stations on a frequency to hear a third distant one, but you have to be able to tell which station is
+AD4 which. IBOC noise is indistinguishable by station.

Most of my local AM stations dropped IBOC years ago. There's only a couple left spewing that trash. Guess I'm lucky.

Couple of months ago, I stumbled across my old AM Stereo tuner while looking for something else. Plugged it in, and whaddya know, WLS was still broadcasting their stereo pilot. Good for them+ACE I suspect they're not actually broadcasting stereo programming anymore but I didn't feel like listening to their babblers long enough to confirm it.

Back to the original topic, is the GE dead, deceased, an ex-Superradio?