Old June 19th 18, 06:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
VK5PAS via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin VK5PAS via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin is offline

Default [VK5PAS] Hacks Lagoon Conservation Park 5CP-085 and VKFF-0888

vk5pas

Hacks Lagoon Conservation Park 5CP-085 and VKFF-0888

https://vk5pas.org/2018/06/19/hacks-...and-vkff-0888/

We left Bool Lagoon and drove about 10 km to Bournes Bird Museum, which
contains an amazing collection of around 600 birds.Â* The bird specimens are
generally from road kills or birds that have flown into power lines.Â*
Marija and I met with Marion, the owner of the property.Â* She had kindly
opened up the museum for us and explained in detail the history of the
museum and her father Jack Bournes passion.Â* Not only are there birds, but
there are reptiles, mammals, and a bird egg collection.Â* We highly
recommend a visit here.

Marija and I then headed to the Hacks Lagoon Conservation Park 5CP-085 &
VKFF-0888 for a quick activation, as the weather was turning nasty.Â* The
park is about 25 km south of the town of Narracoorte, and 359 km south east
of Adelaide.
Above:- Map showing the location of the Hacks Lagoon Conservation Park.Â*
Map courtesy of Location SA Map Viewer.

Hacks Lagoon Conservation Park is 202 hectares in size and was proclaimed
as a Fauna Reserve on 8th June 1967.Â* Further land was added on the 27th
April 1972 and the area was proclaimed as the Hacks Lagoon Conservation
Park.Â* Additional land was again added on 4th November 1993.

In 1985, the area covered by both the conservation park and the
adjoiningÂ*Bool Lagoon Game ReserveÂ*was added under the name Bool and Hacks
Lagoons to theÂ*List of Wetlands of International ImportanceÂ*maintained by
theÂ*Ramsar Convention.

Birds SA have recorded a total ofÂ*111 native birds at the park
includingÂ*Pacific Black Duck, Australian White Ibis, Swamp Harrier, Superb
Fairywren, Australian Magpie, Willie Wagtail,Â*Buff-banded Rail, Spotted
Harrier, Red Wattlebird, Southern Emuwren, Striated Fieldwren, and Restless
Flycatcher.

Some of the birds we observed are shown below

We drove back into the park via Bool Lagoon and soon reached the park,
which is located to the northeast of Bool Lagoon.Â* The park is well
signposted.

There is a niced lawned area here with picnic tables which would have made
an ideal operating spot on a sunny day.Â* But we had very average weather
and pulled up the Toyota Hi Lux close to one of the benches, to provide a
bit of a windbreak.
Above:- Map of the park showing our operating spot.Â* Map courtesy of
Location SA Map Viewer

I started off the activation, and again used the special call of
VI50IARU3.Â* I called CQ on 7.144 and this was answered by Geoff VK3SQ,
followed by Brenton VK3YB, and then Eric VK7EV.Â* Band conditions were quite
good and it didnt take long for a little pile up to commence.Â* I logged a
total of 23 stations from VK2, VK3, VK4, VK5 and Vk7, before the weather
closed in and it started to rain.Â* But more concerning was the thunder and
lighting.Â* It was a quick retreat to the vehicle and a break in operating
until the weather had cleared.

During our activation we had some interested onlookers.

Once the weather had cleared, Marija and I set up again and removed the
links for the dipole, and headed to 14.310 on the 20m band.Â* First in the
log there was Gerard VK2IO/p in theÂ*Queens Lake State Conservation Area
VKFF-1771.Â* I logged a further 6 stations from VK2, VK3 and VK4, until
callers dried up.

So I headed to the ANZA DX Net on 14.182 and checked in.Â* I worked 11
stations on the net from VK1, VK2, VK4, VK8 and New Zealand.

I now had 41 contacts in the log and was just 3 short of qualifying the
park for the global WWFF program.Â* Marija and I again lowered the squid
pole and inserted the links so we could operate on the 80m band.

Marija called CQ on 3.610 and this was answered by Adrian VK5FANA with a
very strong signal.Â* Within 10 minutes Marija had her 10th contact in the
log, qualifying the park for VKFF.Â* Contact number 10 was with Geoff VK3SQ.

I then put out some CQ calls on 80m and it wasnt long before I had contact
number 44 in the log, with a QSO with John VK5BJE.

Marija and I had 59 contacts in the log between the two of us and it was
time to pack up and hit the road, as we still had a substantial drive home
ahead of us.

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK3SQ
VK3YB
VK7EV
VK3ZPF
Vk2RP/m
VK2BDR/m
VK2VW
VK5IS
VK2JNG/p
VK2KJJ
VK5KLV
VK5VC
VK4TJ
VK3AWG
VK3PF
VK7FRJG
VK7RM
VK2PKT
VK4FDJL
VK4FARR
VK2AHF
VK7FMAC
VK2QK

I worked the following stations on 20m SSB:-

VK2IO/p (Queens Lake State Conservation Area VKFF-1771)
VK2LEE
VK3SQ
VK4ME
VK2NP
VK2HPN
VK4FE
ZL2GLG
VK2RI
VK4NBP
VK4LMB
VK1TX
VK2HOT
VK4XCS
VK8KMD
VK7XX
ZL4QJ
VK4SWE

I worked the following stations on 80m SSB:-

VK5FANA
VK5VC
VK5BJE
VK3PF
VK3SQ
VK3GGG
VK3PMG
VK3UCD

On the way home we stopped off at one of our favourite hotels, the
Riverside Hotel at Tailem Bend, and enjoyed a great meal (as always).