Old January 12th 04, 06:06 PM
Tom Bruhns

"David Huisman" wrote in message ...
I am unable to use DC continuity. Even if I had a termination at the antenna
base , this would only indicate broken cable, but not a cut antenna. The DC
path would need to be to the tip of the antenna.

I have some 10-bit analog inputs available for monitoring and can resolve
down to a couple of mV.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks

You didn't mention the frequency, but monitoring the reflected power
should be no big deal. A 20dB directional coupler would waste only
100uW with a proper load connected, and even without resonant
enhancement of the reflected-port voltage give you enough to detect a
disconnected antenna. A coupler could be transformer based (a couple
small toroids) at lower frequencies or coupled lines (for example
microstrip, perhaps built into your PC board) at higher frequencies.

Cheers,
Tom