Old July 29th 18, 06:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank[_14_] Frank[_14_] is offline

Default Is Degen still a good buy?

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 21:15:19 -0700, N9NEO wrote:

+AD4 Are the Degen/Kaito DE1103/KA1103 radios still a good buy?
+AD4
+AD4 I recall paying near +ACQ-100 for them a few years back and they are being
+AD4 sold for considerably less than that now.
+AD4
+AD4 Are there other similar radios I should be looking at?
+AD4
+AD4 thanks Bob N9NEO

Seems Degen changed the 1103 to DSP a few years ago, without changing the name to something like DE1103DSP or DE1103A. I got a early model DE1103 in 2006. It's a good performer and I thought it was a decent value at the time although I never quite got used to the ergonomics and I think the +ACI-analog+ACI display is a waste of space. I don't have any direct expirence with the DSP version but it's getting mixed reviews online. If I recall correctly, the non-DSP versions were getting knocked for quality issues starting around 2010 or so.

I know that if I was looking for a small portable radio again, I'd seriously consider the competitors to the DE1103.

DSP has gotten very inexpensive over the last decade and it's even showing up in bargain basement radios, such as this HAPPY RADIO:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Dis...AD0-m570.l1313

The radio of choice for both Radio Nederland's Eddie Startz and legendary soul singer Edwin Starr+ACEAIQ Or not.