Old July 31st 18, 10:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank[_14_] Frank[_14_] is offline

Default Is Degen still a good buy?

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 19:04:12 -0700, N9NEO wrote:

+AD4 So if I were to spend say 2x what the Degen would run or say less than
+AD4 +ACQ-200 - what would be a good buy for a portable? AM/FM/SW

I can't give a solid recommendation based on personal experience. I do
know the DE1103 isn't the same radio it was and the reports that they
started cheapening it up years ago are credible.

I think the reports from the WRTH are generally trustworthy. My newest
WRTH is the 2014 edition. Unfortunately, that edition doesn't have
detailed reports on portables, just a summary chart with prices and star
ratings.

In 2014, the DE1103 was the lowest ranked of 11 portables at two stars.
The Tecsun PL 310 and PL 380 were the highest ranked at four stars.