Old June 3rd 04, 05:22 PM
LRod

On 3 Jun 2004 08:40:59 -0700, (Rich S.) wrote:

I am trying to help a friend track down an old acquaintance. He can't
remember the fellow's name, but he remembers being in the his shack
and hearing him call CQ from "Willy Able Four John Tere Marie, slant 4
Charlottesville".

This was perhaps 25-35 years ago, I believe. The call is not active
nor listed. If someone has an older callbook and can look up WA4JTM so
we may get his name, it would help. I must've tossed my old books
somewhere along the way.

Try QCWA. They have old callbooks.
http://www.qcwa.org

I will tell you that the range of years may lead to ambiguity. The
call you cite was probably originally issued sometime around 1961-63
(I was WA4NJI, issued 1963). However, in a few of the call areas (the
Second, that I have specific knowledge of), the WA calls were run
through a second time before moving on to the WB calls (as they did in
the Ninth area, of which I also have specific knowledge).

I think I remember some WB4 calls from the late '60s, which suggests
they didn't recycle the 4s, but the Fourth area was always one of the
quickest to go through allocations (a friend's wife received WA4Txx in
'64), so it's possible they might have indeed gone through the WAs
twice before going to the WBs, like they did in the Second area.

I was inactive from '64 through about '70, so didn't follow the
allocations in that period.

Good luck in your search.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net