Old August 16th 18, 11:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Bob Wilson Bob Wilson is offline

Default wire that heat strips insulation

On 8/15/2018 4:56 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Where can I buy some small wire ( about # 28 to 30 ) that has the enamel
type of insulation that can be soldered and the heat will melt the
insulation ? There was some on ebay I bought that did not seem to work.
After checking it out, it seems that it needs to be heated to almost 400
deg C and when I tried that, it did not do all that well.

I would like it to melt out with a more normal 300 deg C or so iron.

The object is to use it on a circuit board to build small projects.

It used to be sold on small spools for use in simple wire-wrap
construction, not needing fancy wire-wrap tools. I used it decades ago
for a number of computing projects, not ham radio where I tended to want
wires to stay exactly where I put them and not vary things like the
inductance and capacitance of the wiring. The simple plastic tool let
you wrap a bunch of connections, then hit them with a soldering tool to
make a lot of quite reliable connections quickly. (Not pretty, though!)
So maybe searching with phrases like "solder through wire wrap" would
find you something.
Bob Wilson, WA9D