Old August 17th 18, 08:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Rob[_8_] Rob[_8_] is offline

Default wire that heat strips insulation

Bob Wilson wrote:
On 8/15/2018 4:56 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Where can I buy some small wire ( about # 28 to 30 ) that has the enamel
type of insulation that can be soldered and the heat will melt the
insulation ? There was some on ebay I bought that did not seem to work.
After checking it out, it seems that it needs to be heated to almost 400
deg C and when I tried that, it did not do all that well.

I would like it to melt out with a more normal 300 deg C or so iron.

The object is to use it on a circuit board to build small projects.

It used to be sold on small spools for use in simple wire-wrap
construction, not needing fancy wire-wrap tools.

Special wire existed, of course very expensive, but I have always
used regular coil winding wire from the local electronics shop.
The guys there know what you need and what makes of wire are suitable.

Coincidentally, the shop is closing down right now. Like most of
them already have.