Old August 17th 18, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default wire that heat strips insulation

On Thu, 16 Aug 2018, Ralph Mowery wrote:

In article alpine.LNX.2.20.1808162246170.20401@thrush,
says...

And yes, there it was a period more or less after home computers arrived
that the stuff thrived, and probably in computer circles. Though,
Hamtronics had some famous preamplifier kits, and I seem to recall they
used insulated wire that could be stripped with heat.

I never had a Hamtronic kit,but thought I saw in some instruction
manuals some coils wound on forms that the wire went through the pins
and they were heated to do the soldering .

Most of the kits were written about in Ham Radio magazine, so you could
build without the kit. That's one reason I mentioned them, maybe one of
the articles gives detail about the wire (and maybe not, maybe they wanted
you to buy the kit).

That is the type of wire I am looking for if the insulation melts out at
normal soldering temperature.

Around that time I got a large roll of thin gauge wire which I thought
might be this sort of wire, but I'm sure I must have tried and failed.
But I can't remember. It was in a box of junk I got for a few dollars,
and 45 years later I still have some of that roll.

Certainly that insulation would melt, but I was never sure if it was
deliberate, or just because insulation tends to melt.

Michael