Old August 19th 18, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank[_14_] Frank[_14_] is offline

Default Make America Late Again!

On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 11:01:47 -0400, Michael Black wrote:

+AD4 WWV was probably the first station I got a QSL card from, even on my
+AD4 Hallicrafters S-120A (the solid state one) I could tell the difference
+AD4 between the different WWV frequencies, while shortwave broadcast stations
+AD4 were +ACI-closer to the the 500KHz mark than an even MHz point+ACI. And of
+AD4 course, when propagation was good so WWVH could be received on the east
+AD4 coast, you knew it since they had a female announce, and the announcement
+AD4 was offset in time from the WWV announcement.
+AD4
+AD4 If nothing else, WWV provides a signal for beginners to hear, in most
+AD4 places an almost guaranteed signal, at least on one of the frequencies. I
+AD4 think I must have listened to it for hours when I was a kid. This is
+AD4 probably more vital today, as the shortwave broadcast stations disappear,
+AD4 less to listen to on shortwave. Though in the digital age, no need for a
+AD4 crystal calibrator, digitally tuned receivers give nice accurate readout,
+AD4 and are generally close enough in accuracy.
+AD4
+AD4 Michael

What's weird is that WWV restarted their 25 Mhz transmissions as a service to radio hobbyists and even put up a circularly polarized antenna. This is not an expensive operation. It's something of a national resource like a National Park.

I'll bet WWV would be a Vital National Interest if it was in blue state Kansas rather than red state Colorado+ACE