Old June 4th 04, 10:45 PM
LRod

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:26:07 -0700, "Rich S."
wrote:

I remember a lot of the different phonetics used and "Tare" (Dave spelled it
Tere and I just copied what he wrote) was common for "T". "Nan" "November"
or "Nectar" for "N" and I seem to remember "Marie" or "Mary" for "M".

'Course, I learned my Morse code when Truman was pres.

Interestingly, one of the messages from this newsgroup that I have
archived is about phonetic alphabets. You probably learned this one:

Pre-1954 U.S. Navy Radio Alphabet:

(Communications Handbook, 1945)

Able Baker Charlie Dog Easy Fox George How Item Jig King
Love Mike Nan Oboe Peter Queen Roger Sugar Tare Uncle Victor
William X-ray Yoke Zebra

I cut-and-pasted this from the original post.

When I retired from the FAA in 1997 after 30 years, there were still
occasions when I'd hear a couple of those (not counting the ones like
Victor and X-Ray that are also on the ICAO list).

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net