Old August 21st 18, 09:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Rob[_8_] Rob[_8_] is offline

Default wire that heat strips insulation

Chris wrote:
On 08/17/18 08:37, Rob wrote:

Special wire existed, of course very expensive, but I have always
used regular coil winding wire from the local electronics shop.
The guys there know what you need and what makes of wire are suitable.

Coincidentally, the shop is closing down right now. Like most of
them already have.

I worked for a transformer company decades ago and they used wire that
stripped & tinned in a solder pot. Standard transformer wire for that
company at the time, as it saved time in production. Have a word
with your local transformer company or stockist...

Yes that is the kind of wire I used. It was a little easier to pre-tin
it on the iron but when working with ICs in DIP package it usually was
enough to do a half turn of the wire around the pin, clip it, and solder.

But it varies between makes of wire. With the real "enamelled" wire
this doesn't work.