Old June 5th 04, 02:08 AM
Aaron Lake

"Rich S." wrote:

I remember a lot of the different phonetics used and "Tare"

Yes, Tare for "T" seems to ring a bell. "Tere" threw me as I read it as 'tear'.

"Nan" "November"

Yep remember these being used too.

or "Nectar" for "N"

Nectar? Maybe a CB crossover??

and I seem to remember "Marie" or "Mary" for "M".

Well Mary was the correct one anyway.

'Course, I learned my Morse code

That's one of the nice things about Morse, no Phonetics...

when Truman was pres.

Well the closest to Truman I can come is my 1947 Callbook. It would have been
'John Thomas Mary' using that books ARRL list. That was only slightly different
from 'John Tom Mary' in the "Western Union Key Words" phonetics for amateurs in
my 1934 Callbook. However in the 1973 Callbook the "ARRL adopted International
Civil Aviation Organization" phonetics list had changed things completely to
'Juliet Tango Mike'. So what the hey, maybe we can get Nectar in officially
someday.