Old August 22nd 18, 09:59 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Brian Reay[_5_] Brian Reay[_5_] is offline

Default What happened to polystyrene capacitors?

On 22/08/2018 09:50, Jeff wrote:
Suflex capacitors. Scourge of the devil. I always viewed them with
suspicion when fault finding.

Suflex were a particular make, rather than a type.

There was another brand, Styroflex perhaps, which I think were similar.

I'm sure there were others, those just spring to mind.

I don't why everyone is talking in the past tense they are still readily
available, not Suflex but other brands, from RS, Farnell etc.

Jeff

These days, at least when buying for home use, I tend not to look at the
make.

In the days when I was involved in circuit design professionally,
picking specific parts was common - not only performance but 'second
source' availability, expected long term availability, ...... etc.

These days, it tends to be basic technical requirements. Not brands.
With Ebay etc, even cost tends to be a minor issue.

--

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same