Old August 26th 18, 06:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] allisellis851@gmail.com is offline

Default WWVB eliminated, too?

On Sunday, August 26, 2018 at 11:54:58 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 11:52:05 -0400, Michael Black wrote:

I don't think that's going to work.

I found a small book at a used book sale a few years ago, maybe titled
"Chronograph". It was about the need time in order to navigate. One of
them, longitude or latitude, required accurate time, and ships didn't
have that. Hence an effort to create a very accurate clock, which was
also portable.

WWV meant you didn't need that accurate clock, just a shortwave radio to
let you know when to check the stars or sun.

Michael

According to my first WRTH, the US Naval station, NSS, was supposed to be
broadcasting time signals. My morse skills were, and are, nonexistent
but I was able to ID NSS. Didn't hear anything which sounded like any
signals which coordinated with WWV. Might have been obsolete info by
then.

WWV used to be coordinated with the US Naval Observatory in Annapolis.
Atomic clocks got better than observatories and that was that for that.

www.ancient.eu/Timekeeping ...There is a great big ancient Sundial in India. Earth is gradually slowing down so that great big ancient Sundial in India is now about two seconds slow.