Old June 14th 04, 02:39 AM
Mike Coslo

Stuart Grey wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote in
:

Stuart Grey wrote:

Oh yeah! I gotta have a question. Okay, here’s one; I’m
interested in this PSK31 * thing. Does anyone do PPP via
this modulation technique, like to pass primitive usenet
like messages, old ftp, or text based web pages?

No, it is a text based mode. Phase shifting can
certainly be used to
send data, but PSK31 is the shifting and an encoding scheme
that sends text only. Correctable too!

Of course, you can send ascii art!

- Mike KB3EIA -

The primitive usenet was all text - mail, usenet, and text based
web using Lynx, connected via PPP.

BUT, if I can send text, I can uuencode binary files, and send
them as text. This whole web thing is entirely text based, yet
by uuencode and other schemes binary files can be passed, and
applications can be created that make viewing or using those
binary files seem transparent.

Well, you could, I suppose. Of course there isn't error correction. The
received print could be cut and pasted from the screen into a text
editor, then saved as the intended file. If you were lucky, you might ge
something.

But 31 baud would be tortuously slow!

BUT, THEN AGAIN, PSK31 uses vericode, which appears, at first
glance to be optimized for English language text messages, with
the vowels being of the shortest number of bits and less
frequently used letters being many more bits. Optimal for
English, much less so for binary. I’ve not looked at it to see
what its efficiency would be compared to other schemes, so I
really shouldn’t say.

Also Caps use more bits. Fortunately the people that use all caps on
psk31 don't seem to be the fastest typers.

BUT, STILL AGAIN, I wouldn’t dream of sending anything but text
via PSK31. I just think it might be cool to use something like
PPP to relay messages about, sort of like repeaters, but not
real time. After all, the original internet was just a few
computers that connected with phone lines at low bit rates; not
at all unlike radio contacts made with PSK31.

I must admit, what I outlined above would make an interesting experiment

Feel free to hit me over the head for quibbling.

Nahh, they are some interesting points.

- Mike KB3EIA -