Old September 19th 18, 12:39 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Tom[_11_] Tom[_11_] is offline

Default Cobra 18 WX ST II

Hello,

I recently purchased a used Cobra 18 WX ST II and connected it to a new
antenna installation. In testing SWR I receive off the chart high SWR. I
suspected a ground short and began to test each component starting at the
antenna. Isolation testing reveals all components are good wrt a short
between hot and ground, except the radio. When testing the radio
(completely unplugged from both power and antenna) I see continuity between
the center pin coax connector and the coax threads or radio case. I expect
there to be no continuity between these (maybe when transmitting or
receiving?).

I contacted Cobra to verify this indicating a problem with the radio, but
they only replied with a quote for evaluation and repair. Before I
consider repair or replacement, can anybody verify that continuity between
these points on an unplugged radio indicates a problem?

Thanks in advance,

Tom