Old September 19th 18, 04:49 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Nick[_6_] Nick[_6_] is offline

Default Cobra 18 WX ST II

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 23:39:12 -0000 (UTC)
Tom wrote:

Hello,

I recently purchased a used Cobra 18 WX ST II and connected it to a
new antenna installation. In testing SWR I receive off the chart
high SWR. I suspected a ground short and began to test each
component starting at the antenna. Isolation testing reveals all
components are good wrt a short between hot and ground, except the
radio. When testing the radio (completely unplugged from both power
and antenna) I see continuity between the center pin coax connector
and the coax threads or radio case. I expect there to be no
continuity between these (maybe when transmitting or receiving?).

I contacted Cobra to verify this indicating a problem with the radio,
but they only replied with a quote for evaluation and repair. Before
I consider repair or replacement, can anybody verify that continuity
between these points on an unplugged radio indicates a problem?

Three things spring to mind:

1) Whoever sold you that radio is laughing their ass off because they
knew it was broken to begin with. Sucker!

2) Congratulations, you've diagnosed your own problem but are too much
of a mouthbreather to see it. You'll fit in fine on CB.

3) Cobra think you're a dip****. They're not wrong.

EYE NUB JOO, TOM,

..Nick.