Old October 14th 18, 08:59 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bernie[_5_] Bernie[_5_] is offline

Default 4NEC2?

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 20:25:28 +0100
Brian Howie wrote:

In message , Bernie
writes
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 05:59:35 -0700 (PDT)
Jeefaw K Effkay wrote:

On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 12:57:21 PM UTC+1, Geoff wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 11:55:13 +0000
Spite sent a message from the other
side:
On 14/10/2018 11:44, Geoff wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 11:39:58 +0000
Spite sent a message from the other
side:

On 14/10/2018 11:04, Geoff wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 08:50:13 +0000
Spike lied:

On 14/10/2018 01:32, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

wrote:

Gareth once complained about a mobile CB set-up he
installed in a 4x4 couldn’t reach further than a
quarter mile. That’s all you need to know about
Gareth and radio.

He probably didn't need any antenna at 1/4 mile (400
meters).

snip interesting detection story

Stephen Thomas Cole, the PP, just after gaining his UK
Full licence by 'acing' all three exams, appeared on a UK
Amateur group asking which sideband he should use on 40m.
That's all you need to know about him and and his ability
with radio.

That sounds interesting - can you provide a link to that
post?

No. For some reason it's been deleted.

Then we only have your word that it ever exsisted. I choose
not to believe a word of it.

'It's been deleted' means it did exsist. You can't delete was
was never posted. You might ask yourself why it was deleted.
That's all you need to know about his ego and and his ability
with radio.

We only have your word for any of that. I choose not to believe
a word of it.

What STC actually asked was which sideband he should use for RTTY
on 40m.

Which is, of course, an interesting question as it's not something
that was covered in any exam, current or previous.

My $0.02 worth is that it doesn't matter, since an RTTY operator
will know that he needs to invert the received tones if he sees a
string of "46464646" instead of "RYRYRYRY"

Here's what was asked, and it wasn't posted no archive, or deleted,
or any of the other weak bull**** that Burt has bean spraying around:

"Was pottering at my radio last night, heard the scream of data
being sent and was triggered to revisit a long parked project;
getting going on RTTY!

Here's the hardware I'm using:

Yaesu FT757-GXii Serial/USB cable interface thing PowerMac G4 running
CocoaModem

I've got everything hooked up, have CocoaModem configured and
displaying a waterfall but when set to RTTY mode it's just decoding
gibberish...

Other than a couple of short spells at club days, this is my first
go at this and I have no idea what I'm doing... Any tips?"

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!or...-radio/MjriIIU
zuHA/_ityI76x0IMJ

Good old Burt.

For the record all the data modes including RTTY use upper sideband
all the way up from 136KHz . CW A1A is also upper sideband but there
can be advantages to be had by swapping to LSB to avoid
interference. F1A beacons seem to be a law unto themselves. You can
get quite good at reading inverted morse.

Amateur RTTY uses inverted tones and a different narrower shift
compared with commercial RTTY.

I don't know why your getting onto Steve about this as none of it is
the radio amateur courses or even online anywhere, unless some smarty
pants comes along and tells me it is. Ok it's in here for WSJT

It was Burt who was doing the 'getting onto' and when it wasn't going
well for him he introduced a new plotline about mysterious disappearing
posts and the character defects that could be at the root of the
disappearing posts.

I joined it to point out that the posts are still there and that Burt is
a liar and a ****ing idiot.