Old October 14th 18, 10:33 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 4NEC2?

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018, Roger Hayter wrote:

Geoff wrote:

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 08:50:13 +0000
Spike wrote:

On 14/10/2018 01:32, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

wrote:

Gareth once complained about a mobile CB set-up he installed in a
4x4 couldn't reach further than a quarter mile. That's all you
need to know about Gareth and radio.

He probably didn't need any antenna at 1/4 mile (400 meters).

snip interesting detection story

Stephen Thomas Cole, the PP, just after gaining his UK Full licence by
'acing' all three exams, appeared on a UK Amateur group asking which
sideband he should use on 40m. That's all you need to know about him
and and his ability with radio.

That sounds interesting - can you provide a link to that post?

I hope I am as open-minded as the next person, but it is really
stretching credulity to accept that anyone could actually find that
alleged fact remotely interesting.

To be fair, it isn't law which sideband is used, but "commaon practice".
That actually is about operating, and is a counter example, it doesn't say
anything about technical skill. There have to be endless things about
"operating practice" that should be on an exam long before "which sideband
to use on 40m?"

Though I do wonder why someone wouldn't just flip the sideband switch if
something isn't working right.

Michael