Old October 14th 18, 10:46 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 4NEC2?

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 08:50:13 +0000, Spike
wrote:
Stephen Thomas Cole, the PP, just after gaining his UK Full licence by
'acing' all three exams, appeared on a UK Amateur group asking which
sideband he should use on 40m. That?s all you need to know about him and
and his ability with radio.

For what it's worth, I don't know which sideband to use on 40m. That's
because I don't operate much on 40m and don't have such details
memorized. I use a wall chart with the appropriate modes,
frequencies, sub-bands, and dedicated frequencies listed. Oddly, I
was able to pass the US extra-class license without knowing or
studying any of this. I believe I posted the story previously, but
it's interesting enough to repeat again.

There was a time when SSB transceiver used mixing schemes so it would
always be the "right" sideband when you switched bands. Even rigs that
had a lsb/usb switch would sometimes color code so you knew which sideband
was "right" for each band.

I suspect more recent rigs, with synthesizers and computers, they surely
default to the "right" sideband when you switch bands.

As I recall, when I was a kid, I knew from reading which sideband got used
on which band, SSB was hardly knew then but it was still "new" enough that
it got talked about in the magazines. But with an SP-600 and a tuneable
BFO, I had to tune the BFO both sides of zerobeat to figure out which
worked for which sideband, no convenient crystal controlled BFO marked
"lsb/usb".

If there was a question on the tests about this sort of thing, it would
likely show some frequencies and you'd have to figure out after
heterodyning which sideband you were on.

Michael