Old October 15th 18, 06:03 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Gareth's Downstairs Computer Gareth's Downstairs Computer is offline

Default 4NEC2?

On 15/10/2018 04:49, brian wrote:
In message , Gareth's Downstairs Computer
writes
On 14/10/2018 20:30, brian wrote:
In message , Gareth's Downstairs Computer
writes
Whereas such antenna predictors seem to feature in amateur usage,
does anyone, anywhere, in the world of amateur radio have an
understanding of the underlying principles involved in
predicting the performance of antennae, or have we all,
regrettably, become indistinguishable from
consumerist CBers or beginner licensees?

Â*4NEC2 and EZNEC areÂ* just a fancy front and back ends for NEC2 (and
NEC4) Engines.
Â*Program description is here :-

https://ntrl.ntis.gov/NTRL/dashboard/searchResults/titleDetail/ADA956129.

xhtml.

Thanks for the heads up, Brian, but a quick glance suggests that some
revision might be necessary of my 3rd year uni textbook, "Fields and
Waves in Communications Electronics" by Ramo, Whinnery and Van Duzer.

ISTR it to be an excellent book explaining complicated things in words
of one syllable, but 46 years down the line, I might have a more
romantic memory of it in realityÂ* :-)

I've got mine here. We used to call it Ramo Whinnery and Bamboozle. From
the inscription in the fly leaf, it looks like I used it in 3rd year
too. Mine has one of the equations printed upside down, which threw me a
bit.

Simon Ramo is an undoubted expert in that "field", but probably deals
only in that area. Much more difficult for we polymaths who must have a
working knowledge of so many more subjects, eg, the low level
programming of computers.