Old October 16th 18, 06:22 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default 4NEC2?

In article ,
says...

Perhaps an analogy might be useful. Instead of an HF radio, you're
dealing with your automobile. Under normal circumstances, it will get
you to work and back fairly efficiently. However, you notice that
your gasoline (petrol) mileage is not quite what you might expect. So,
you have a choice of mechanics. The first mechanic tunes the engine
with a light bulb, divining rod, magic incantations, and offers a
rather bizarre description of what work was done on the vehicle. The
second mechanic uses proper computerized test equipment to analyze the
situation, uses factory parts, and delivers the car with a detailed
printout of what was done, what changes were made, what parts were
used, and a before-after gas mileage comparison performed on a
dynamometer.

Now, which mechanic would you prefer? Your car will still go to work
and back in some manner. The second mechanic will cost more, because
he has to pay for all the expensive equipment and genuine parts. If
you're impoverished, obviously the first mechanic will be the only
available choice, but assuming you plan to keep the vehicle, one might
suspect it is a bad long term solution.

Again, it all depends on the mechanic. The computer tune may only get
you a small improvement and it will take 5 years to make up the cost
difference. I had a car that started running real bad. After the
simple things I replaced like spark plugs, wires and coil, I looked on
an Autozone page and one thing was a $ 500 sensor that may cause the
problem. I took it to a dealer that should have all the proper
equipment. After about 3 weeks he finally replaced that sensor and it
fixed the problem. The part would have taken less than half an hour to
replace. They may still have been working on it if I had not sent off a
nice email to Toyota after a week and a half of no repair.

I know of a case where a Freeze plug was leaking and the motor company
wanted to pull the engine to get to it. Shade tree mechanic pulled back
the carpet inside the car, took a hole saw and cut a hole in the
firewall to get to the plug. Repaired the hole with a beer can and pop
rivits for less than $ 100.