Old July 5th 04, 08:19 PM
Mike Coslo

Groom Lake wrote:

In Message-ID:Kl6Gc.1758$%w5.429@okepread05 posted on Mon, 5 Jul 2004
01:15:08 -0500, Rob Mills wrote:

I wasn't much into
gab but enjoyed tinkering with the equipment more than gabbing on them so
soon sold out except for a CB I used in the truck. I drove an 18 for a
living and retired in 84 and haven't keyed anything since. RM~

Back in '66 I put one of those (pre-bucket brigade) delay boxes* with a
spring and two transducers in line with my audio and some of the locals
thought the echo was due to the enormous power level, similar to 15
meter multipath, rather than just a precursor to today's echo-mike.
*note - those delay boxes were more commonly used in conjunction with
automotive 8-track players, and would make that distinctive boing effect
whenever you hit a pothole or crossed the tracks too fast. ;-)

Well, since the topic is shifting, can anyone tell me what the echo is
supposed to do? in my travels, with my CB on, I can "hear" people with
echo mic's and I'll be darned if I can hear them well at all. Now echo
AND way overmodulated, now there's the ticket to complete
unintelligibility! (is that a word?)

- Mike -