Old October 18th 18, 07:35 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 4NEC2?

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 19:22:02 +0100, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 08:09:01 +0000, Spike
wrote:

On 18/10/2018 01:35, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

diversion into a side-topic snipped

It wasn't a diversion, but if you don't want to discuss it, that's
fine. If you have an allergy or an aversion to numbers, that's also
fine. I'll try not to mention any numbers if you feel threatened.
Fear of numbers (numerophobia or arithmophobia) is amazingly common
these days as we transition from an analog world to a digital world.
Usually, it is fear of some specific number that causes a problem.
However, there are individuals, such as politicians, who fear all
numbers. These might help:
https://www.fearof.net/fear-of-numbers-phobia-numerophobia-or-arithmophobia/
"How To Overcome Fear Of Numbers"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKPaeb6nmsw (2:00)

So, how do you make an RF tuning light bulb produce numbers? A light
meter?

By calculation, old boy, by calculation. Don't you do calculations in
the US?

Well, last time I checked, calculations are done using numbers. What
numbers are you using to calculate and how did you conjur them? Do
your light bulbs include a brightness indicator?

You can compare the brightness of two similar lightbulbs with a moderate
amount of precision. You just have to take care that the bulb is not
changing the thing you're measuring too much.

Sure. The standard candle used to measure the distance to a star in
astronomy is such a measurement. The problem is that the standard
candle is great for comparison measurements, it much also be
calibrated against a known illumination source. Finding a light bulb
with a known specific brightness and suitable for making a comparison
does not seem very easy. Same with "similar" light bulbs. One would
still need to calibrate the standard light bulb in some manner. Might
as well use a lux meter.

"Standard candles"
http://www.astro.ex.ac.uk/people/hatchell/rinr/candles.pdf

Note that I'm ignoring the change in filament resistance at different
illumination levels with adds some unwanted non-linearity to the light
bulb power measurement.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558