Old October 24th 18, 07:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Frank[_14_] Frank[_14_] is offline

Default capacitor replacement

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 10:37:14 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

In article , says...

I think any plastic film cap that has a suitable capacitance and meets
or exceeds the original's voltage rating would be fine. I have some
old paper caps but I'll never use them. Maybe I'll give them to some
guitar amp guy.

You may want to list the old ones on ebay. Those audio people often pay
big bucks for some of the older types such as those black ones with the
stripes. Think they call them bumble bee caps.

I've saved a few over the years but I've been reluctant to sell my
useless junk on ebay. I mean, it's fine if some eccentric wants to spend
a ridiculous amount of money on junk but I'd rather not deal with some
K00K who feels ripped off and screams to ebay "YOUR JUNK IS GARBAGE!! I'M
FILING A COMPLAINT!!!!!!!!!!!"

I recently bought a couple of Nationals, a NC-60 and a NC-109 from a
guitar amp guy who didn't have the time or inclination to fix them up.
Maybe he will be interested in some sort of exchange of useless junk.

I have the NC-60 open right now and, for what it's worth, National used a
paper cap to couple the 1st audio amp to the power amp. They used a disk
ceramic from the wiper of the volume control to the 1st audio.