Old January 13th 04, 06:59 PM
Roger Halstead

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 08:13:59 -0800, "Mikey" wrote:

John, the on-glass antennas do not require a separate ground; the antenna

I had one that did, but as far as I recall the Larsen does not.

uses the coax shield and the radio ground. When you mount the antenna, you
need to avoid mounting near a rear-windo de-fogger - the two don't like each
other. Also, I recommend the Larsen version of the antenna, versus anyone
else's - it just seems to perform better. Good luck!

I had good luck using a Larsen in a Transam and at one time or another
I had either the TM-V7A, or TM-D700 in there.

I had a SUV pull out in front of me. Took him broadside at what was
figured to be 50 (only left 12 feet of skid marks). The TA stopped so
quick the metal mount for the TM-D700 control head was smashed flat
by inertia. The right front tire was back into the firewall and the
firewall was clear back against the underside of the dash. (all the
way across) Radio was still working after the impact.

The Larsen stayed in place. In fact, later I had to use a wood chisel
to get the thing off the rear window. (TA was totaled)

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

73,
Mike KI6PR
El Rancho R.F., CA

"John" wrote
Greetings all
I have a 87 Fiero GT - V6 Mid-Engined Plastic car. I have been
considering using an "On-The-Glass" MultiBand antenna (2M / 440Mhz) on
this car. Has anyone done this? what kind of results? any tricks to
improving signal? My concern is the lack of body sheet metal... There
are frame parts and a V6 engine under the back deck, but I don't know if
that's enough with one of these antennas.. There is a approx... 10"
square piece of metal plate under the back deck that a mag mount could
adhere to, but the car has a new high quality paint job on it and I
don't want to mount anything on the body.... There are no bumbers to
mount to, Their all shrouded in moulded plastic....

I would be grateful for your advice..
Thanks
John
KD4RN