Old January 10th 19, 02:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Catweazel Catweazel is offline

Default Kenwood TS-450s alc problem

On 09/01/2019 17:29, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

my ts450 has a alc problem i turn it on and it works ok for about 3 minutes
and then the alc starts rising and goes out of control reset alc and power
drops from 80 watts to 5 watts any thoughts? radio has never been on 11
has never been modded

My TS-690 is a TS-450 with Six Meters. Several years ago a problem
turned out to be caused by a leaking electrolytic capacitor. The
leakage corroded a circuit trace, opening the circuit.

My old TS-50 has numerous bad electrolytic capacitors. I gave up trying
to fix it. (I was doing more harm than good!)

Kenwood seems to have used some poor electrolytic capacitors, and they
are causing problems in their old age.

Fred
K4DII

FWIW my 20yr old IC706mk2 suffered failure of an (leaking) electrolytic
capacitor a few years ago, and corroded part of the track to which it
was connected.
--

---