Old January 14th 04, 03:13 AM
Yuri Blanarovich

Esteemed Antenna Gentlemen.

I am sorry I could not participate in the heated discussions and do experiments
and measurements in the past few weeks. I was QRL, weather was lousy and I
caught the nasty flu that I hope to shake off in the South next few days.

It looks to me like some made statements (contrary to facts) and now are
defending them or going all out to prove they are right. Rather than
concentrating on the original question, is the current in the antenna loading
coil in typical mobile quarter wave whip same or different on its ends, we are
drifting to side shows like how precisely you measured it, what is your guess,
theory, toroids etc.

To recap, W9UCW measured, I witnessed and new that bottom of the coils get
hotter than top ergo, more current at the bottom. W8JI attacked that it can't
be, he stated it HAS to be equal, Kirchoff, bla, bla. (Now it is maybe not so
equal, length of coil, stray capacitance, phase of moon, but it is the same,
even when it isn't. Go figure.)

W8JI also proved that he lied when stated that he measured thousands of (what?)
coils and they all had equal current. Now he posted some measurements and
proved that he was wrong, he measured differences. He doesn't describe his
setup, and as Cecil explained, one can rig the coils to have the same current,
but in a center loaded resonant quarter wave vertical - no way.

Now we drifted to ferrites, we guessed Roy's difference and he measured it,
THERE WAS A DIFFERENCE 5% at the base. Is difference not a difference?

The first experiment I will do is the "thermal test" - I will take Hustler 80m
coil, I have two fishing tank LCD strip thermometers ($2.50 in any pet store) I
will stick them on the coil at the bottom, at the top, or in between. I will
fire TX to it and video tape the change in temperature with timer running.
Really smart gurus should be able to calculate the power and currents from
that. If gurus object that thermometers are disturbing the coil. Then the
thermal test No2 will be done. I will put higher power to it and see the coil
unshrink the tubing from the bottom up. I have done it before and it made me
true believer in the phenomena.

Next test will be with thermocouple ammeters and next with current probe
similar (but better) as W8JI used on his tests and showed on the web page.

Then we will try to correlate it with our "obscure theories", then we will
write the nice, detailed article that hopefully will help to understand the
thing for the other side of the fence gurus.

The proof is in reality, W9UCW done it, but that CAN'T BE?

Thanks Cecil and others for Herculean task and effort in digging out references
and trying to 'splain it. Looks like Krause and others are wrong, but old
Belrose error perpetuated in ARRL Antenna Book is right, oh and EZNEC modeling
0 size coil and loading stub differently is right too. W8JI used it as a proof
that current can be increasing from the base up to the coil. How come that
straight piece of wire (as antenna) can exhibit different current along its
length (where is Kirchoff) but when you insert the coil and retune it, that
coil "refuses" for current to taper?
Take the coaxial wound chokes, coil wound of coax at the antenna terminals can
reduce the current flowing in the shield. We know that, or are we going to deny
that? How is that COIL different that it has different RF current at its ends?
That you can check even with MFJ current meter.

I hope that weather gets better, flu goes away and life gives me more time. In
the mean time, if you are contemplating to get TenTec Orion, read my first part
of review on my web www.K3BU.us

73 Yuri