Old January 19th 19, 09:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Rob[_8_] Rob[_8_] is offline

Default Astron RS-12A Repair Help

Michael Black wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jan 2019, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 09:41:03 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Saturday, January 18, 2003 at 12:10:59 AM UTC-8, Roger Leone wrote:

I am having similar problems with my RS12 supply.

... then you should start a new thread instead
of replying to a FIFTEEN YEAR-OLD THREAD!

Some people seem to think everything related should be "kept in one place"
to make it easier for others to find.

What's forgotten is that the only way someone finds these old threads is
by searches (I can't believe they scroll back through 16 years of
messages), and if they can find a message from 2003, the same sort of
search would find a new thread started today.

The problem is not created by people but by the ridiculous "Google
Groups" interface to usenet news. It archives news forever, then allows
people to search it and send replies, without any clear indication that
they are replying to very old news. There should be an extra warning
when replying to an old thread, or it should be disallowed entirely.

Even those that ask the questions are unlikely to ever come back to read
the replies. They were just searching the internet, found the article
on Google Groups that they do not regularly visit otherwise, ask a
question and move on in their search. It is unlikely that they can find
back the same Google Groups site 3 days later to read a reply.

So it is best to just ignore those replies to old threads from people
with @gmail.com. I have even setup a killfilter so I don't see them.
(unless others again reply to them)