Old September 14th 04, 05:37 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Andrew Crawford" wrote in message
Dear All,

Does anyone have any tips for learning Morse using the Kock method? I'm

using
the "CW trainer" program and it's working... kind of.

I am learning at 25wpm. I find I can identify the sounds of the letters no
problem at this speed, so it's working from that point of view.

However, I can't physically write that fast! By the time I get one letter
written another three have gone by. I can "buffer" them a little but even

so
after writing down a few letters I'm hopelessly behind.

It's very discouraging. Any hints?

Cheers,

Andrew

At speeds in excess of 20wpm (the limit on how fast the typical person can
write), you will need to either copy on word processing software (or old
fashioned typewriter) or learn to copy in your head.

However here are some things that can help a bit. Use script (cursive) not
printing. Printing is far too slow, especially block letters. Also don't
worry about neat as that also slows you down.

Set the letter speed at 20 or 25wpm but set the word speed at about 15wpm.
Your brain may still be lagging slightly on identifying the letters and may
need a slightly larger gap between them until you get more practice.

Also strive to simply write the letter without even thinking the letter
name. If you think of the letter name, it will slow you down. You want
this to be an automatic reflex.

A program that I prefer for the Koch method is the G4FON software. It is
available for free download from the internet at http://www.g4fon.co.uk/

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE