Old January 14th 04, 05:15 PM
Cecil Moore

Gene Fuller wrote:
Consider something even more bizarre. If the coil is exactly 1/2WL and
each end is located at a current node, assuming the forward current is
equal to the reflected current (Kraus' assumption) then zero net current
is flowing in and out of both ends of the coil even though there is a
current maximum point in the middle of the coil. This is how Kraus'
phase-reversing coil works in his collinear array antenna.

Why is this even the least bit bizarre? Your favorite example of an
ideal transmission line with a perfectly reflecting termination shows
exactly the same thing. Are you suggesting that any node on an ideal
standing wave cuts off everything further downstream?

No, no, no. I'm saying that if Tom finds current flowing into both ends of a
coil at the same time to be a bizarre thought, then a coil with no current
flowing into the ends at all, even though current is maximum at the center
of the coil, would be an even more bizarre thought *FOR HIM*. Tom seems to
have a sacred cow that he doesn't want to barbecue.

Assume a 180 degree phase shifting coil with a current node at each end
as I described above. Also assume one misses the current nodes by 6 degrees
and that the maximum current loop is 1 amp. The current at one end of the
coil will be ~0.1 amp at zero degrees while the current at the other end
of the coil is ~0.1 amp at 180 degrees. That means current is flowing into
both ends of the coil at the same time and then flowing out of both ends
at the same time 1/2 cycle later. Tom calls anyone who believes that
"gullible" and that tells me I should go back to school. I am merely
demonstrating the laws of physics operating outside of Tom's sacred cow box.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp