Old October 12th 04, 04:10 AM
Doug Kanter

"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...
Cell phone usage is restricted on all domestic commercial flights by the

FAA,
so the flight attendant keeps telling me.

I seem to recall that this wasn't so, early in cellular history. Weren't

we
able to use cell phones on flights, long ago?

Is cell phone usage also restricted on private jets, etc. for similar
reasons?

So my question... what is the technical reason for restriction of cell

phone
us on commercial flights? Is this reason valid, technically? Or is it

simply
an excuse to force anyone who needs to make a call to use the airline's
on-board phones (and pay their outrageous rates)?

Oh good. Let's list all the reasons why cell phones belong in airplanes:

1) Airlines in bankrupty which (and I say this with enormous sarcasm) has NO
effect on the morale of people who should be happy, like mechanics

2) A random selection of pilots who partied way too late the night before

3) Sky marshalls who saunter aboard like what's-his-name from Miami Vice,
thereby making it perfectly clear who to strangle if you're a hijacker and
need a gun.

4) Passengers who think flying is a convenient excuse to get plastered
within 15 minutes of takeoff and mouth off to the crew.

5) People who've lived on potato chips and cheesecake since birth, but think
they shouldn't have to buy two seats to contain their lard, and end up
flowing all over your for 4 hours.

6) Air traffic control computers which are, in many cases, antiques.

7) Morons who will look right at you while you're listening to quiet music
with your eyes closed and begin telling you their life story.

8) Fools who SLAM their seats backwards within seconds of the warning lights
being turned off, and pretend they're instantly asleep?

On top of all this, you think there should be lots of cell phones in use on
airplanes? I've got news for you: Do that, and it'll be more comfortable to
take a bus through a Central American jungle with goats & pigs roaming the
aisles. I don't know how old you are, but there was actually a time when
flying was comfortable and enjoyable.