Old October 12th 04, 12:12 PM
Doug Kanter

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 03:10:28 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

I don't know how old you are, but there was actually a time when
flying was comfortable and enjoyable.

And expensive!

In 1958, I left my job in Frankfurt and looked at modes of
transportation home. I got a ticket on the Holland-America line for
$278. An airplane would have been $400--one-way!

To translate into millennium dollars, multiply by ten.

I dunno....my dad paid for it when I was 12 years old. :-) About the only
negative thing I remember was that the airlines were silly enough to serve
peas, which made for a bit of a mess on bumpy flights.

Best memory - 1987: My flight from Pittsburgh to Rochester NY was delayed by
an hour due to crazy summer weather. When we finally boarded, the pilot came
out of the cockpit and addressed the passengers. He said "Sorry about the
delay, but there were thunderstorms. They've passed, but it's still pretty
turbulent. I'll give you a choice. I can avoid 98% of the turbulence and
we'll be in Rochester around 8:30. Or, I can go through the bumps and it'll
be about 15 minutes quicker. The 2nd choice could be a little unnerving, but
nothing we're not trained for and the plane's not built for. How about a
show of hands - who wants choice A? And choice B?" Choice B won. We got home
faster. :-)