Old October 12th 04, 10:12 PM
whoever

The only thing that I see wrong with this is that the cell "tower" needs
to connect to the wired phone system. We know that it can't be
hardwired, that would be one hell of a long cable! So, as the "tower"
needs to transmit and receive (transceiver) from other transceivers on
the ground that are hardwired to the phone system. You can put the
ground transceivers on a different frequency pairs, but that's a whole
new world wide system!

Brian Case wrote:

Actually it could work very well, and I have seen this proposal from
several different sources. The Idea is to install a low power cell
phone tower into the airliner.

As I understand it that signal bar you see on you Cell phone is
dictates how much power the cell phone uses to transmit. So the closer
you are to the tower the less power it uses to transmit. This is why
you phone batteries probably last longer in town than the do out in
the boondocks.

By installing the tower in the aircraft you are only a few hundred
feet from the tower (at the most). The Cell phones will get an
excellent signal from it and will drop to the lowest transmit power
setting, Thus the interference with towers on the ground should be
minimal.

I am not an expert on these, I am just repeating how it was explained
to me.

Brian

"Morgans" wrote in message ...

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message

I noticed on the evening news the other night that someone is trying to

get

a modular mobile "cell tower" approved that would be installed in

commercial

aircraft so that passengers can use their own mobile phones. It will be
interesting to see how the FCC and FAA handle this one.

Still won't work. The frequency the cell in the air is on, will be hitting
dozens of towers on the ground, making them unable to use that frequency for
other users on the land.