Old July 11th 03, 07:47 PM
W5DXP

Jim Kelley wrote:
You're making it sound as though the energy gets to the load by some
means other than waves.

No, I'm not. The energy in the canceled waves reverses direction and
joins the forward wave. That's what I said over on sci.physics.electromag
and those guys are amazed that anyone would disagree with that assertion.

In other words, the disappearance of two waves during a wave cancellation event
can result in reflected energy coherent with those two canceled waves. I don't
find that in the literature anywhere. Do you know of a reference?

The reply was:
I'm curious as to what kind of objections people had. It all makes perfect sense to me.

So the disappearance of two waves during a wave cancellation event and
a subsequent energy reflection makes perfect sense to real physicists.
Not one person on that newsgroup objected to my assertion.

There is no flow of energy from source to load via those waves, ...

Of course there is. All energy comes from the source. Therefore, the
energy in the reflected power Poynting vector originates from the source
and is reflected by the load. ERGO, that energy has flowed from the
source to the load. *ALL* energy incident upon the load comes from the
source, even the energy rejected by the load as reflected energy. The
above statement is simply a steady-state shortcut mantra that bears no
resemblance to reality.

That's your story, and you're sticking with it. I know. ;-)

You have not refuted it. Until you provide an iota of proof to
the contrary, I'll be sticking with it. Incidentally, your mantras
are not proof. Try uttering your mantras on sci.physics.electromag
and see what happens.

Like we haven't been through this already? The superpostion of V1 and
V2 accounts for all the energy that moves from source to load.

We've been through all this before. There is not enough energy in
|V1|^2/Z02 and |V2|^2/Z02 to support the constructive interference
between those two waves. Therefore, an equal magnitude of destructive
interference must be occurring somewhere else - according to Hecht.
Therefore, the destructive interference energy is generated by the
wave cancellation event between the two rearward-traveling reflected
waves just as described on the Melles-Griot web page and agreed
to by experts over on sci.physics.electromag.

How about you reply to my latest posting on sci.physics.electromag
so we can obtain opinions from some real experts? I predict our
differences would be settled in a matter of days on that newsgroup.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP