Old October 24th 04, 01:07 AM
Honus

"Lloyd" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 21:35:37 GMT, Honus put on his Net Nanny hat and wrote
a 117 line post which finally wound up with:

The weird thing is that I've been reading Lloyd's post for some time

now,
and just to be sure my memory was accurate I googled to be sure...and

he's
never been a top poster. Strange.

There are many Lloyds on here. In fact, most of us are Lloyd. I'm
the top posting Lloyd - the one who is much more of a Usenet Master
than the other Lloyds.

I see. And you all use the same mmmm email address? I'll let
the "The only thing you're a master of" joke go by. It's too easy for a man
of my talents.

I usually post with an X-No-Archive header,
which means that Google doesn't archive most of my posts.

You won't let google archive your posts? What exactly are you afraid of,
Lloyd? It's been my experience that the only people that don't allow
archiving are people that regularly get their teeth bent when they try to
debate their betters. What's your excuse?

I will now return to top posting, because it is the new way of doing
things.

That's a good reason? Because it's new? Not because it's better, or more
efficient, or easier, but because it's "new"? It's not "new". It's been
being done by lazy, inconsiderate posters for years. And they've been
getting the same treatment for years, because your style of posting is
clearly inferior. No changes to Usenet have changed that one simple fact,
nor can they.

Those ancient old texts may have been appropriate prior to
1995, before commerical interests took over the Internet, but now they
are your Daddy's FAQs; not ours. NSF Net is no more, and now the
general public (users of AOL and UUNet for example) decides what is or
is not acceptable on the net.

You're correct that the netizens decide what's acceptable and what's not,
and naturally some things will change. I don't believe that top posting will
be one of those things. You're still very much in the minority. I also sense
that you're a newbie. Welcome to Usenet.

Try to get along.

The largest Usenet servers are owned by large corporations now, and
acceptable Usenet behavior is quite naturally determined by those
corporate players;

Gee...I thought you just said that the general public decides? It doesn't
matter one bit who owns the servers; it's the people that decide. Earthlink
doesn't tell me how to post; common courtesy, common sense and my fellow
netizens do.

not the old time players who have been swept away
but somehow don't know it yet.

Since we're all still here, and since even a perfunctory search of the web
shows that you're very much in the minority, well...I just don't know what
to tell you, Lloyd.

The major players are us, and we will
top post when appropriate.

Oh, so now it's "when appropriate". I see. When -I- pedal backwards, it
usually activate the brakes.

And who is "us"? Before you answer, bear in mind that you don't know
anything about me...I might be one of you, depending on your criteria.

Of course, you could have learned -some- things about me by searching
google. I'm not afraid to have my posts archived.

We will also post in more modern formats
such as the utf-8 character set, html, and rich text format, because
we aren't locked into the past.

Like I said, change is to be expected. Not too many people that I know are
paying for bandwidth like they used to, so posting in html or posting
binaries to non-ninary groups isn't -quite- as frowned on as it used to be.
But top posting is still wrong for all of the reasons which I previously
cited and referenced. You know...the ones that you ignored, just as I
predicted you would? You STILL haven't given a good reason for doing it,
whereas I layed out my argument, which of course you snipped without
addressing. If you've got no game, why are you trying to play? Do yourself a
favor, and stay off of your high school debating team. You'll only bring
shame down upon yourself and your school, Lloyd.

It's called progress. Join us if you dare.

In your case, it's called being willfully stubborn in the face of lucid
arguments and flawless reasoning that disagree with your unsupported and
unsupportable position on the issue. Progress has to do with improvements,
not following trends. I'm still waiting to see an explanation of the former
from you.