Old January 15th 04, 12:52 AM
Cecil Moore

Jim Kelley wrote:
Yikes, Cecil. Using that logic, you're basically arguing that every 1/2
WL or 180 degrees, a forward wave turns into a reflected wave.

Nope, but half the time in a horizontal standing wave antenna, the
forward current is flowing toward the left while the reflected current
is flowing toward the right, and vice versa. That's simply a characteristic
of RF current. In a single conductor into your house, half the time, the
current is flowing toward the source. I am absolutely amazed that
you, of all people, would allow yourself to be seduced by a shortcut
DC model applied to an AC problem.

The beauty of AC power transfer is that the same electrons are run back
and forth through the generator. For a UHF transmitter, very few of the
electrons running back and forth through the transmitter reach the
antenna. It is somewhat akin to the bouncing ball bearings. The center
one doesn't move.

You oughta think about what Gene's saying a little longer.

Sorry Jim, but you oughta think, period. At the moment, you are
running on autopilot in a tiny box. Repeat after me until you
understand. AC is NOT DC. AC is NOT DC. AC is not DC. AC is not
DC. ... In any one wire, the direction of AC current changes by
180 degrees every 1/2 cycle. This was taught in detail at Texas
A&M in the 50's. What on earth has happened in the ensuing 50
years?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp