Old September 4th 19, 05:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected][_2_] jfeng@my-deja.com[_2_] is offline

Default Sony car shortwave radio?

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 3:10:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:

I have the 2 band Sony xplod but SW is just static.
Can I put antenna inFront input jack or what do I do?

I had a DC777 in my previous car. I found that the most important thing for reducing ignition noise was to make sure the coax was well-grounded to the car chassis where it connected to the exterior antenna. This was not necessary to receive the local stations on the AM and FM bands, but it was absolutely required for SW reception. The antenna was mounted on the rear fender, so this may have helped since it was as far away from the engine as possible.

I was able to get all the usual powerhouse broadcasters (BBC, RHC, VoA) from my QTH in the SF bay area, and even some of the less common broadcasters like Radio Singapore, VOA Trincomalee, and BBC Ascension Island. As usual, the time of day and the propagation conditions were important. I never tried to go for real exotic DX while I was driving.

I don’t think you need to worry too much about sensitivity because the car will have a high electronic noise floor (making it harder to receive weak signals) and because of the high acoustic noise. My guess is that your Sony will be more limited by your installation rather than its intrinsic technical capabilities.