Old September 4th 19, 09:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank[_14_] Frank[_14_] is offline

Default Sony car shortwave radio?

On Tue, 03 Sep 2019 15:10:32 -0700, nornornorman wrote:

+AD4 I have the 2 band Sony xplod but SW is just static.
+AD4 Can I put antenna inFront input jack or what do I do? Ignoramus about SW

There really isn't much SW broadcasting anymore. You can try scanning the bands with the car not running. The usual thing to try is lower frequencies, say below 9 Mhz during the evening and higher frequencies during the day. There can be local exceptions, such as Toronto's CFRB, at 6.something Mhz frequently makes it to the Chicago area in the afternoons. If your radio can receive 5, 10, 15 and/or 20 Mhz, try tuning in the time station WWV. They broadcast 24/7 on those frequencies.

Try the radio with the key in the accessory position and the car parked as far from buildings and power lines as reasonably possible.

I'm assuming the existing antenna is OK. During the evenings, you should be able to hear many out of town AM stations in between the local powerhouse AM stations, if the antenna is OK.